Monday, January 18, 2010

January 19th Council Meeting Commentary

For this week's Council Meeting Commentary, I am look at item #4, "Police Department Oath of Office Ceremony for New Part-Time Officers and New Full-Time Officers", on the January 19th Council agenda.

Chief Schuetz takes great pride in recognizing his officers. In particular, he enjoys the opportunity to welcome new officers to our community by holding an oath of office ceremony. There are several new employees of the department who will be recognized at the Council meeting - Full-Time Officer Arneson (previously part-time), Part-Time Officer Eric Schoonover, Part-Time Officer Megan Breckling and Part-Time Officer Laura Hauser.

I'm not sure what the actual oath language is that Chief Schuetz uses, but I think this version summarizes the type of commitment that these new officers will be making to our community: "On my honor, I will never betray my badge, my integrity, my character, or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always uphold the constitution, my community, and the agency I serve."

Please join me in welcoming these new officers to our organization.