Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What a Great Weekend in Milton

As we start up the shortened Holiday work week, I wanted to take a brief moment to thank all of our residents, businesses and visitors for what truly was an outstanding 4th of July weekend celebration in Milton.

My family and I spent the weekend striving to enjoy as many of the great events our City offers throughout the weekend as possible and boy it sure did keep us busy. Some of the highlights included playing in a great softball game between the police and fire department and watching so many from our community start of the weekend watching our public safety employees play ball while raising money for a good cause.

Later in the weekend my wife and I and our neighbors watched some of the softball tournament from the FFA beer tent while talking to and supporting our FFA alumni in their fundraising efforts. I enjoyed the chance to swim a mile on Sunday (much more difficult than I thought) and ran another one with my three kids on Monday while my wife ran the 10 K. The best part about each of those events are the volunteers who make them work and how the community's participation in them supports our non-profit organizations like the Milton FFA, local swim club (Mile Swim) and the Optimist Club (fun run). A lot of great people doing a lot of great things make those events fun and successful for all to enjoy.

I tried disc golf in King Park (An event coordinated by our Parks and Recreation committee) and look forward to later this summer when the course gets permanently installed over there. Unfortunately I am no better at that sport then I am at regular golf but my wife and kids loved the game, in particular because they were much better than Dad...

Monday afternoon saw some great weather and another great parade. I wanted to personally thank all those who were involved in coordinating the parade , in particular those on the Celebrate Milton committee who, under the direction of Community Services Manager Inga Jacobson put on a great event that was enjoyed by all. Corporate sponsors secured by the Committee assisted in funding some new activities this year and helped promote some of our already great events throughout the weekend.

I also want to recognize all of our City employees, many who work the holiday weekend to ensure that our residents, businesses and visitors enjoy all Milton has to offer throughout the weekend safely. While public works, police and our fire departments have been long standing workers in these events, I must also thank our library and city hall staff who also joined in this year to help promote and/or coordinate various parts of the celebration.

Finally, these great things we have to offer and enjoy over the Fourth of July weekend celebration don't go on without the work of our City's greatest asset...our people. Whether your support was as a volunteer, a business person, a patron or a participant, the 4th of July weekend is something very special for all of us to enjoy. Thanks to all of you for making Milton's 4th of July such a wonderful celebration of our community and our great nation.