Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Bitter-Sweet Resignation

Dear Friends - Following is an announcement that I made at last evening's Council meeting:

It is with bitter-sweet feelings and a tremendous amount of respect for you and the City of Milton that I submit my resignation as Milton City Administrator. I have accepted the position of Village Administrator / Economic Development Director for the Village of Waunakee, which accommodates both professional growth for me and personal desires for my family.

As required by my contractual agreement with the City of Milton, I am providing a 30 day notice. My last day as Administrator with the City will be on Tuesday, September 21st.

It has been an honor and pleasure to serve our beautiful City. I have enjoyed being a part of the City team which has achieved so much since I began more than seven years ago. Together I believe we have made Milton a better City in many different ways. What more could we hope for?

Fortunately for Milton, opportunity abounds. The table is set for growth and prosperity. So many good things are in motion right now which makes this community exciting and vibrant. A talented and dedicated team of department heads and staff will continue to serve this City well. For these reasons I believe my successor will enjoy working for the City as much as I have. You should be encouraged by the direction in which Milton is headed.

To the Mayor and Council I thank you for allowing me to grow as a manager here in Milton. You have trusted me and provided me with resources and creative freedoms in order to succeed. I have enjoyed working with all of you; Mayor Chesmore, former Mayor Bruce, current Alderpersons and past. It has been my distinct privilege to serve you.

To the department head team and my co-workers, thank you for allowing me to be a part of your lives. You all mean so much to me, and I credit all of you for helping shape and mold me as a manager and human being. For that I will be forever grateful and forever your friend.

To my family; Tonya, Sydney and Sawyer... You guys are my glue and my passion. Without your support and faith, there is no way I could be the manager I am today. I am especially grateful for Tonya, who for many weeks in the fall each year becomes a “budget widow” and has endured hundreds of evenings without dad’s help putting the kids to bed. I love you so much and look forward to our new adventure.

Finally, to the people of this great City I wish to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your friendship, kindness and graciousness. My family and I treasure the friendships we have made while living here. If a City is defined by its people, Milton stands tall and proud aside all others. It is the people of Milton who truly make this community a wonderful place.

May God bless all of you and the City of Milton in mighty ways. As I have since the day I was hired, my prayers will continue to seek abundance and happiness for the City and its leaders, staff, businesses and citizens. Thank you so, so much for everything.