|Photo of alderpersons taking the Oath of Office in April 2011 after the election.|
Requirements: Be 18 years of age and a City of Milton resident. There are no education or experience requirements.
You are only 3 steps away from being on the Ballot for the Spring Election on April 3, 2012.
- 1st Step: Complete your Declaration of Candidacy and Campaign Registration at Milton City Hall, 430 E. High Street, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 2nd Step: Circulate Nomination Papers to collect at least 20, but no more than 40 signatures.
- 3rd Step: Turn in completed paperwork by Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 by 5:00 p.m.
- What if I do not have any experience? No experience is required. However, an interest to serve your community is always an advantage.
- What are the time responsibilities? The Common Council meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm in the Council Chambers located on the lowest level of the Shaw Municipal Building, 430 E. High Street. Alderpersons are appointed by the Mayor to serve on other various Committees/Commissions that meet during the month in the evenings.
- Do I have to run a campaign? No. You do not have to advertise or create signage. Some Candidates have chosen in the past to place ads in the local newspaper and/or create signage. This is not a requirement.
- Is this a volunteer position? Alderpersons are compensated at $1,200 a year and are paid quarterly.
- Are Common Council meetings open to the public? Yes. Attending a meeting is a great way to meet the current officials.